Casual dress at work properly, or as it was said before “sport” is an art. In fact, it seems more difficult to do correctly wear a suit in the office. I personally took longer to dress casually for works that do suit. In the background, because a suit, as I said, is “knave knight and king” while casually there is a range of options and conditions that may make you more much complicated still.
It is more complicated because we depend quite on our time and the business culture we live. What is normal in some is completely unheard of in others. It is true that there are companies where the work culture is such that one can go as you like, but if it is not the cased better keep in mind that to go casual on Fridays not mean we can go as we want. Even in companies more relaxed, there are some rules that should take into account. On the other hand, in more formal, forcing the suit Monday to Friday every day of the year, not bad know how to dress when we have to see ourselves in activities outside of work where it is not expected to relocate the suit, but yes, dynamos arranged.
One detail that we have to keep in mind is that n or always the best thing is to go in a suit to work, even if it is in office. Maybe a suit and tie are counterproductive. For example, a friend working in child protection (mistreatment, abuse, etc). Is it right to go with a suit? The truth is that no, mainly because if wearing a suit to impose their appearance and children may not feel comfortable with it, especially if they come from an environment where men in suits are the authority or persons to avoid. That does not mean you can go with a tracksuit with an embroidered dragon on the back, you have the ability to withdraw custody to both parents and is representing the state power.
What is business casual?
If we are to go business casual or casual work, it is best to consider “what is considered business casual.” Because it is a definition that has changed a lot over time, for example, think of the sequence in which Audrey Hepburn and George Peppard in Breakfast at Tiffany’s diamonds enter. The outfit he was not completely formal in his time, wearing a blue shirt with button-down collar and jacket and trousers of a different color. A reporter might as well dress at the time, and today would be the best – dressed person in the newsroom.
On the other hand, think of Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook. Always wears a gray shirt, with little grace and criticized. As time may also wearing a hoodie or maybe flip-flops. There are companies where this is permitted or even better, but deep down, is not necessarily normal.
We would say that the casual business depends on the following factors:
- The innovative or traditional that is the business of the company, the most innovative (Internet companies, online advertising, developers of apps …) more informal and the more traditional (law, banking …) more formal.
- The culture of the company.
- The company rules express or implied.
- How to wear the bosses.
- The top environment of the particular office, for example, some financial institutions at a branch director and tie required in two kilometers can do without this.
- The type of clients that is addressed at the company.
According to these parameters, say we have the following factors:
- The type of footwear suitable basically can choose from dress shoes, sports shoes or sneakers
- The type of pants you can wear is not the same wear dress pants, khakis or even Chinese and jeans. With some exceptions, we should dispense with broken jeans and shorts.
- Type tops appropriate. Not the same a shirt, a plaid shirt lumberjack, rugby shirt, a polo shirt or T – shirt (long or short sleeved). The more formal setting only allows us classic shirts (e.g. Oxford type) and poles, would be a little more casual lumberjack shirts and rugby shirts and below.
- Above the shirt, it is where we have the choice between a jacket, a wool sweater, cashmere or cotton or we can bring sweatshirts, hooded being the most
- The coat is not the same as a classic coat, adequate shelter for inclement weather (e.g. one of Barbour type) that an anorak, one parka output wardrobe Liam Gallagher, a leather jacket biker (which no true jacket with protections if we use the bike as transportation), etc.
What we must not wear (almost in any way)
No matter how relaxed they are the standards of our work there is a series of garments that we must avoid in an office:
- Tank tops or sleeveless
- Swimsuits (should not take out of the pool, the beach or a trip to the river.
- The tracksuit is something that takes only while the sport is practiced.
- Shirts sport, including football. As exception is the end of the world and our country took the
- Pants with broken
- Clothing that can be offensive to people (political party clothes, confederate flags, racist symbols, hoaxes, activist clothes for certain causes, etc)
- Clothes too geeks (except in some environments), yes that shirt of Star Wars or the Joker can be amazing, but it will not do any good if your colleagues will laugh behind your back how stoked you are with Zelda.
- Fancy clothes (drag queen)
In short, the idea is to avoid clothes that may be too “cockney” or too “particular”. We want to be measured by our work, not by how we dress. Because if we do outrageously bad, the climb will use it as a weapon against us, if you do not mind our boss.
Casual style business / Smart casual restrictive
Now, suppose we do not have very clear how to go, just let us do it in a conservative environment. In that case, it would be best to be traditional and follow the following pattern:
Shoes dress or classic with dark socks also sports shoes over, for example, water or loafers (although these styles are somewhat old-fashioned). They could also admit those shoes that seem shoes or shoes that look like sneakers in some cases.
The pants could be apparel, Chinese or khakis, discrete colors. It is best to avoid jeans, but if they are going to take, it is better to be as classic possible without rare fixtures and dark. The belt does not have to go to match the shoes, but should not be very striking.
Then shirt, which can be a dress shirt, a shirt of Oxford type, or a pole or even a rugby shirt (long sleeve polo). It is important that it be a shirt or polo, because having a structure in the neck, gives some authority. There is a possibility to avoid wearing turtlenecks. This neck is something that many find it strange, but if you look, it is no coincidence that the plane flight attendants uniforms sullen include a turtleneck or scarf to give more authority. One detail, if it is hot, better a rolled up shirt or polo shirt short that manga (which gives a more casual image).
Regarding the part up to the shelter, we can choose between a jersey (wool, cotton or cashmere), a jacket (though not very common) or a cardigan (sweater with buttons. With a coat that can be the one used to go work or other slightly more formal, we have the complete picture.
Another thing to consider is that if we do not want to spend much, it is better to use cheaper outlets or cheaper brands that use imitations clothing. The first because it is not legal and the latter because there is always an expert of this or that brand that is able to realize that the garment is not original.
Of course, clothing must be in good condition (no need new fault, but not too worn), pressed (if applicable) and a range of standard colors that combine, even minimally.
Generally, this will depend on more or less how our colleagues and bosses to dress, what is intended with work clothes is not stress too, integrate into the group and that the quality of our work is the only thing we are valued not to give a wrong image.
How to wear a suit
If you start working for the first time or if you change to a new job in which you require a jacket and tie, chances are you are not quite sure how you go to work. The advice I will comment come from investigating time for me, so the same can be considered a little personal. They are for men only, sorry girls, but I dare not with women’s fashion.
Some have grown up learning rules of dress in costume at home because they have a greater sense of fashion or because they grew up in an environment in which their male referents (relatives, teachers, friends …) suit had to go to work but if you’re like me I came from an environment in which most were in sport or in uniform, you may come in handy.
There are two ways to look at it, according to the company in which work will have some restrictions or other. In some neglected other more and seeks to provide a more uniform and formal appearance to their workers.
Regarding those who think that they dress does not affect them at work, congratulations if you are in a company where the work and not the dress is valued, but in practice, many people are we to judge by our dress at first and may not realize the quality of our work to take time to work with us. Meanwhile, other people have hatred be customer or promotion.
- The suit should be colored blue navy, gray or black. It is more formal if pants and jacket are the same color. We should not combine jacket and trousers of different suits
- The shirt must be lighter than the suit and tie darker than the shirt.
- The shirts should be smooth or striped, some checkered became fashionable for some time, but that does not give you permission to wear a lumberjack shirt.
- Shoes black or brown. The belt should match the shoes.
- Limit jewelry to watch, twins and three rings (including wedding)
- The twins are optional, personally, I prefer buttons because it takes less time to buckle up, but it is a matter of each.
- Dark socks, unpatched colors.
- The tie should be navy blue or gray, from the same cloth. There is a saying in the City that Dice “no brown in town”, i.e. brown for the countryside. If striped, very fine line. In general, we should have a few. Best of two buttons.
- Shirts must be white, blue or a striped combination of the above. You should have a white shirts or striped blue (like 60:40). No buttons on the neck.
- The ties discrete, generally this is the pledge that gives you more freedom, so choose it as the colors that you favorite Windsor or half-Windsor.
- Only one of the three elements (suit, shirt and tie) should be to stripes.
- Belt and black shoes, it is easier to combine. Shoes should be lace.
- Do not wear suspenders flashy, unless you are trying to create a personal brand to Pedro J Ramirez. Ditto for the pocket-handkerchief if you choose to take, in that case, should not be of the same fabric as the tie.
- Black socks, which sit not you, see the ankle.
- You should not wear more jewelry watch, wedding ring, and the twins. Clock with metal or leather bracelet. Avoid gold and steel combination, it is horrible and a “want and cannot”
- Treat your work clothes as it is, work clothes. Avoid partying with it, you want it to last as long as possible and Barney Stinson is a fictional character. As you get to hang it on the hanger house and do not let balled.
- You should, at least, have three costumes, laid, parts and dye. If you only have two an accident with one (at all has happened to us) can leave you in a compromising situation. Ideally, at least, have at least as many suits as weekday suit and take an extra
- Buy suits with two pairs of pants (there are shops where you can), wear pants more than jackets and little money can double the life of the suit.
- If you have a high budget for suits and shirts, hazels as more than buying expensive brand. Find a good tailor for it. If it is more restricted and depend on press a porter, probably you need adjustments because they have not produced you as the designer mannequin.
- If you plate yourself or the person estimates minimally ironing, buy the easy ironing shirts. In addition, if not, too, because you do not want to be wrinkled in the closet or while wearing. In the first case, also, I advise you a good iron.
Personally, I fill up all minimum and am in the process of ending the restrictive fulfilling 100%. Of course, this is open to collaboration commentators, who certainly have much to contribute.