When it comes to the safety of your property, gas safety should come to the forefront of your mind. Badly maintained gas appliances can cause carbon monoxide poisoning and gas leaks, which can lead to fires and even explosions.
Shocking statistics reveal that one in six British homes has a gas appliance that is unsafe. With potentially deadly consequences, landlords need to do their best to ensure that they take their responsibilities seriously.
That’s why Gas Safety Week is so important. Held every year, it aims to raise awareness of the dangers that come with gas and to remind property owners and landlords of the responsibilities of keeping their homes safe. To make sure your readings are staying safe and easily accessible make sure you have a good quality Gas Meter Box from professional companies including https://www.meterbox.co.uk/gas-meter-boxes.
Landlords must ensure that the appliances and the gas supply that they provide to their clients are safe. Every gas-powered home must have a gas safety certificate that is valid.
These safety certificates are valid for 12 months and can only be given out by registered gas engineers after checking the following:
– Gas supply
It is important for landlords to keep up-to-date copies of the certificate and report, along with recordings of any additional works carried out throughout the year as explained by http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/gassaferecord.htm. These can be easily recorded on property inventory software.
If an engineer discovers any potential gas-related problems, the landlord has a duty of care to fix them. It is a criminal offence to ignore a gas problem highlighted by an engineer or to fail to provide tenants with a gas safety certificate when they move in.
Here are some simple steps landlords and homeowners can take to stay safe when it comes to gas.
– Only hire engineers who are registered as Gas Safe.
– Check both sides of the engineer’s identification card. You’ll need to know that they’re qualified for the work being carried out. You can locate this information on the reverse of the card.
– Have gas appliances checked and serviced at least once a year.
– Understand the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning: dizziness, headaches, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
– Look out for appliances that are not working properly, such as lazy yellow flames, condensation in the room and black marks around appliances.